Thursday, August 10, 2006

fear

could it really happen again? since i'm out on the west coast and attending a convention it was pretty late before i got back to my room last night and at this point the news had already broken about the attempted terrorist attacks. so last night i went to bed in fear of what the morning would bring. would our country actually have to live out another 9/11? would we as a nation be too scared to fly? would we actually come together as people?

but then it hit me. i actually did fly on the 1st anniversary of 9/11 so i wasn't scared anymore or at least i didn't think i was. but why are we americans so special the reality is the rest of the world is suffering under these attacks daily. i'm sorry for taking the world for granted. i'm sorry for not getting on my knees and praying when the rest of the worlds breaking news comes across my screen.

today i thank god for allowing these terrorist to be captures and pray to god for mercy for rest of the world that are not allowed the privileges that those of us in the america are.

1 comment:

Melinda said...

I feel you on this one. When I was 9/10 I went to Egypt with the family. We went to the carpet-making shop (aka sweatshop) and I remember looking at girls my own age, knowing that the rest of their life they would be slaves to this. One girl looked up and made eye contact with me, and I remember seeing her eyes pleading at me "Save me. love me. take me someplace better." I have never been the same since.

And yet, what did I do for that girl? Nothing. Actually no I take that back...I remembered her. And that means something. It's not enough, but it's a start.

Anyways, instead I daily forget to remember the turmoil that the rest of the world goes through. We are so cozy and complacent over here in our little world, and I am trying to expand my boundaries of thinking and feeling the pain the rest of the world does.
-M